Jan 25, 2008

Hijabbing Back At My Critics...



For the sake of clarification: I was not by any means trying to endorse the oppression of women with my comments yesterday. I was kind of out of it, so I may not have been clear enough. More than anything I was trying to say that it was refreshing to step off of a plane and into a culture that is not so sex-driven. Not only do both men and women generally wear traditional attire here, but there are not billboards and ads featuring scantily clad men and women around every corner. I had hoped to illustrate that being in that environment is refreshing- not that all societies should adopt the ideas necessarily associated with dress here. Also (for the record): as many men as women wear the traditional attire here in Kuwait, and 99% of the women that I have seen have not covered their faces.

Again, I fear that I came off as endorsing this entire culture, and that was not my aim. I also did not mean for it to sound gender-specific, as both men and women adopt the same “dress code” of sorts. I apologize if I offended anyone by giving them the impression that I was flatly approving of the entire cultural system here, including the traditional gender roles. I was only trying to comment on how nice it is to enter a culture that attempts to downplay sex as a driving force of the culture.

6 comments:

Dad said...

I got what you were saying, Bear.

Mawnickah said...

I don't think you needed to say that. After all, your "critics," as you called them, wouldn't even post their rebuttals for the rest of us to see.
(Dear Critics, thank you for not making this a discussion board.)
Aaron, have a wonderful Friday!
Love you!

Chase Abner said...

Aaron, you make me smile, brother. You're always the provocateur. You knew exactly what kind of reaction your comments would rouse.

Like your dad, I knew exactly what you were saying.

Ashleigh Eiceman said...

I understood what you were saying the first time, too. No offense taken here! :)

aaronsmith said...

For the record, my "critics" wrote to me personally because they knew that my family was reading this, and did not want to start some gigantic debate. But I love the support from whoever "mawnickah" is...

Anonymous said...

I understood as well. Mary and Ladonna asked about you and I told them about the blog. Figured that would be ok. Stay safe and have fun!