Alexandria is beautiful, but I believe we have exhausted the few touristy things to do here. Tomorrow we are off to Cairo. In planning for that stay we are planning views of the pyrimids as well as many other things. You will soon find out.
Thanks to this blog the issue of what women wear has become an interesting sub-plot to everything I do here. Here in Egypt women cover their heads, but use the material as an accessory to the rest of the outfit. It is not uncommon to see a girl wearing jeans, a pink shirt, and a pink hijab. Who would have thought?
I will write about my very interesting encounter with the Muslim student with whom I had lunch two days ago. I would have written about it sooner, but I keep having internet access for short bursts of time. Hopefully I will write on the train to Cairo, and simply post while there.
Also: I am looking forward to going to a different country. It is hard to understand people here in Egypt because everyone still speaks in hyroglyphics...
4 comments:
Ahhh, Aaron. Always good for a laugh.
Peace be upon those who are upon True Guidance -
Just some comments on the issue of the "hijab":
The word hijaab means a screen by which something or someone is covered. It can also mean 'cover'. In Islaam, when we say a woman is required to wear the hijaab, we don't mean she is to cover her hair--there is a misconception that the word itself means 'head scarf'. Actually, the Arabic word for 'head scarf' is a completely different one all on its own.
Rather, it refers to a woman who covers herself in loose-fitting garments from head to toe, such that the form of her body is kept hidden, and in such a way that one is not able to see through her clothing. This is what is meant by the hijaab in Islaam.
So when a woman wears tight jeans and shirts--though they do not reveal her flesh--while at the same time covering her head with some colorful cloth, then know she is not a woman who observes the hijaab. The issue here is modesty and femininity, not brazenness and sexuality.
Men are apparently under no such restrictions...they are free to wear the tightest pink t-shirts and jeans they can find.
Seriously, when is the draft?
Actually, men are as well. Firstly, they are not allowed to wear pink, for this is a color resembling the color of women; and secondly, tight-fitting shirts are also to be left aside by men, and one reason for this is that we recognize that even women have desires, naturally, and it may act as a detriment in our attempt at achieving modesty.
Post a Comment