Jan 25, 2008

Take Off Your Mosque...

Mosques…

Every morning I wake up to many rounds of “calls to prayer” coming from the local mosque. I am usually freezing cold, so it wakes me up for good… at around 5:00am. (The freezing is because they do not build buildings in Kuwait with heat.) It is interesting to be in a culture so seemingly linked to their faith. I had read a lot about that, but I understand the link much better having met with so many people. It just is (without argument) the truth, and that is that. They are not argumentative about it, or forceful. It just is. There is no room for critical thinking.

I talked to a non-practicing Muslim last night that talked to me about how all people are born as Muslims, but parents force the change. Later we discussed an adult who converted, and the penalty was to be death. I then asked how, if all are born Muslim, all non-believers are not deserving of that penalty. He laughed and said, “exactly”. Again, this was in the context of Islam being above critical examination. Interesting.

On an interesting side-note- the same people talked about Barrack Obama as a potential President of the United States. Apparently since as a child he claimed to be a Muslim and then later claimed to have converted to Christianity he (by all accounts) should not even be allowed in an Arab country. It presents an interesting conundrum if he is elected (in their view).

Anyway: I apologize that these posts are not very consistent in thought, but I hope they are enjoyable. Some guys just stopped by to say that the King is plotting to kill us, so we are fleeing to Egypt tomorrow morning.

4 comments:

Chase Abner said...

I'm certain that you're keeping abreast of the activity along the Egyptian/Gazan border. It'll be interesting to hear what the view is from Kuwait compared to what we're seeing/hearing in the U.S.

Smashnego.

Brian said...

Um, I've been laid out with malaria so i have a few questions:

1. When is the draft for this league?

2. Whoever heard of Aaron leading people INTO egypt?

3. I think the segregation ship has sailed, but Aaron might be happy to hear that we still only pay women about 3/4 of what we pay men for the same work. So take that, Dubai Micky D's!

4. Just fyi, it's not pronounced "Cay-row" over there.

5. Please tell me you haven't take any, and i mean ANY, pumpnickel.

6. I call Kyle Orton with my first round pick.

Alright, then! You have some fun in big egypt, and i'll have some fun in little egypt! Later.

LaDonna said...

Hey
just found your blog. It's good to see that other people get to listen to your ramblings!!! Ha! West Side is missing your smiling face. The table gang says a big Hello!
Be careful
LaDonna

Dad said...

Tell Bader I would be honored to have him visit our home and learn about us.