Feb 1, 2008

The Difference That Sets The World Free...

I can not believe that it has taken so long for me to write about my first encounter with Bader. I do not know if the time I have wasted has allowed me to reflect or forget. Hopefully the former.

Bader is a college student in Kuwait who agreed to meet me for coffee at a Dunkin’ Doughnuts last Friday. I am thankful for the time spent with him, and we plan on meeting again after I return to Kuwait. He is a very bright, respectful person who’s company I enjoyed greatly. If he feels called to be hospitable to “People of the Book”, than he more than did so.

I could write many pages on our meeting, but for the sake of time I will focus on the thing that struck me the most during our conversation: the things on which we agree. We both believe in the sovereignty of God. We agree that the God of the Old Testament and New Testament is the one true God. We believe that salvation comes from God. We believe that Jesus will come again. And finally, we agree that one of us is absolutely wrong in their religion.

It is important to note that Bader does not agree with me on the meanings of the things I have listed above. He would argue that our Bible is incorrectly translated, and that Jesus was not God incarnate.

So even through the scope of our agreements we start to see fine distinctions that are of life-and-death importance to our points of view. Are the New and Old Testaments reliably translated? God is the author of salvation, but how does He accomplish this end in us? Who was Jesus that He is coming back? Questions typically beget more questions, and for all of the agreement, we were never want for things to discuss.

The issue ultimately regresses back to Jesus. For if Jesus is who he is claimed to be in the New Testament, it must be sought is the final truth, as that issue would ultimately invalidate teachings of the Qur’an. If Christ is who He claimed to be in the New Testament (claiming Himself to be the truth, the way, to be God) than we must seek that truth with everything. If there is a real truth to that claim the only logical thing to do is to do anything to take hold of it. It is like a man who finds a treasure buried in a field. The man takes and sells everything he owns to buy that field.

This is where Bader and I have very pronounced differences of faith. Bader’s faith rests in the accuracy of the Qur’an and its companions. Mine rests in faith in Christ. Mine rests in things that are unseen.

Christ’s claims are that of salvation. If those claims are reliable than denying them is to deny the truth. Bader and I agree on many things, but there is a difference in view on the person and deity of Christ. And it’s the difference that sets the world free…

3 comments:

Dad said...

BEAR - Jesus is THE stumbling stone (1 Cor 32). We know that. It is about the RELATIONSHIP - not the RELIGION. Keep safe. Much snow in Harrisburg today. I cancelled school. 2,200 very happy kids. 4,400 irritated adults. dad

Chase Abner said...

If you get the chance, could you ask Bader about finding a reliable English version of the Qur'an? I know that some Muslims believe that their book can only be rightly understood and believed in Arabic. Unfortunately, I don't have spare time to learn the language at this point.

I am so thankful that we have been redeemed by a God who saves from every tribe, tongue and nation:

“Worthy are you to take the scroll and to open its seals, for you were slain, and by your blood you ransomed people for God from every tribe and language and people and nation, and you have made them a kingdom and priests to our God, and they shall reign on the earth.” (Revelation 5:9,10)

Anonymous said...

Best available translated meanings of the Qur'aan in English in book form http://www.salafibookstore.com/sbs/index.cfm?scn=books&ProductID=B348&do=detail&book=