Welcome back to America… I am sitting in a Starbucks at a University in Kuwait. Some distinction. In looking back over my previous posts, I have realized that I have basically abandoned grammar. Sorry Monica. What about this though: “It is not that I don’t want to go…” Appropriate even with a technical double-negative? Thoughts?
Enough of that- traveling around the world always gives me a very different perspective than before I left. You see amazing things, experience unique cultural phenomenon, and meet a plethora of different kinds of people. It teaches a lot about the world in which we live. But raises questions of what to do with it. I know that most people in the western end of Cairo are in abject poverty. What am I to do for them? Can I do anything? I know that Israelis are persecuted in their own country. I know the arguments behind it all. I know that the innocent kids of Jews and Arabs in Jerusalem are exposed to a situation that reminds me of a house filled with gas…and waiting for a spark to explode. What, if anything, can I do?
The fact that all people are generally the same is highlighted in the people I meet. The guy in Alexandria who I paid roughly $2 to take me to the airport likely wants to give his kids a wonderful Christmas. The old man that I tipped at a bathroom in Cairo wants to give his wife something nice. They have kids they are concerned about. Maybe going through a divorce. Maybe just lost a parent.
I know I am just rambling with thoughts here, but I can not look humanity in the eye and not cry. I earlier joked that Alexandria made Kuwait look like Disney Land, but the truth is: everyone reading this blog lives in a virtual Disney Land.
If one were to focus their entire life and energy on the things that are temporal and fleeting- with no regard for that which is eternal- I can not imagine not committing suicide. There is so much hurt in the world. So much injustice. So many people who are simply dying inside. But the tears of that turn to joy when I consider the greatness of the God I serve. That there is hope for the lowliest of those among us.
The years of our life are seventy, or even by reason of strength eighty; yet their span is but toil and trouble; they are soon gone, and we fly away. Who considers the power of your anger, and your wrath according to the fear of you? So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom. Return, O Lord!
Psalm 90: 10-13
5 comments:
I think that in order not to question God in the face of abject poverty, persecution and disease, one must accept that God is just because all flesh is radically depraved, even from conception.
And the only way to not be callous towards the poor and oppressed is to look at all that you have and realize that you don't deserve and couldn't earn one speck of it.
It's such a pleasure to travel vicariously through you.
I agree totally and 100%
I've stopped leaving you messages because everyone else's sound so profound and I just want to say things like, "Aaron, I love you and miss you! See you soon!"
Although I haven't left you any insightful comments to ponder, I want you to know that you've left me with plenty.
Also - why does everyone assume I am such a grammar freak? (By the way, 'cannot' is one word.)
Like Munch, I also just wanted to register the fact that I am still reading these posts...but i'm upset that no one will tell me when the draft it!
BTW, the super bowl sucked...it was a blowout.
I would say the phrase is still appropriate in conversational English... though it is a technical double negative, they are in two separate clauses... it's a colloquial expression that doesn't really imply the cancellation as most double negatives...
Just didn't want to leave you hanging. I don't think you're no good.
Post a Comment