It may have been more difficult for me to enter Israel than the Israelites 4000 years ago. Let me say before I tell my little tale that I fully understand why the nation of Israel must take security so seriously. I am not at all irritated at the necessity to do what they do. That being said...
I showed up to the terminal about 3 hours early for my flight from Cairo to Tel Aviv. I had assumed that it could take a while to clear Israeli security to board the flight. As soon as I arrived I went to a stand where two women were waiting to "ask me a few questions". I stayed cool and collected, and told them that I understood; to ask away. To make a 2 hour story very short- I was tripping over my words within three minutes, and here are the "red flags" I sent up...
1. Based on problems with a travel agent, I was unable to book my flight until I was in Alexandria last weekend. I had tried very hard from the states, but small things (on her end) kept creating problems.
2. As many of you know, my semester-long job of teaching K-2 music ended in December. The timing of the end of that job is the reason I was able to take this trip. I am now substitute teaching while applying for jobs for the coming school year.
3. I am traveling around Egypt with professors from the American University of Kuwait. The professors are not Kuwaiti, but have been brought in from other countries, the U.S. included.
Here is what they saw:
This is a 26 year old, unemployed guy who met up with some college professors in Kuwait, came to Egypt where he "decided" to book a flight to Israel set to take off 4 days later.
I was had.
They questioned me, all but completely stripped me, took apart every electronic device I have, went through every bit of clothing... What an experience.
But a story to tell...
No comments:
Post a Comment