Feb 2, 2008

What Are They Looking For?


I spent most of today at the Church of the Holy Sepulcher in Jerusalem. In this site are the believed remains of the stone in which the cross was placed, the rock on which Jesus' body was dressed for the tomb, and the tomb itself. It was more than exhilerating to stand in those places. It really changes ones "personal geography" as a Christian. It is as if the world we believe in starts and ends at this location. The place where the blood fell. The place it was finished. The place that pleased the Father.

As I have traveled Israel I have been suprised at the scriptures that have gone through my head. This was never so clear as it was today. Going in to this moment I pondered the scriptural account of the events. I thought I would be overwhelmed with grief and emotion regarding the death of God incarnate on a piece of wood. The Answer to life. The Truth nailed to a cross. Instead...overwhelming joy. As I looked at the people around me who were seeking. Searching quietly for something to remind them of Jesus- I smiled. They were standing closer to Him in me than the grave 10 feet away. This verse rang through my head like a chior of angels today. Praise be to God!

"Why do you seek the living among the dead? He is not here, but has risen..."
Luke 24:5-6

4 comments:

Mawnickah said...

...Or journey to Jerusalem to a graveyard if you dare and look for Jesus' body but there ain't no body there.
Very cool message today! Love you

Anonymous said...

Preach on, Mr. Smith...

Chase Abner said...

chills

Brian said...

"Searching quietly for something to remind them of Jesus- I smiled. They were standing closer to Him in me than the grave 10 feet away."

Wow, kid...